At a Glance
SAS® has customers in 140 countries and more than 70,000 customer sites.
Combine SAS World-Class Analytic Strength with the MapR Distribution
Bringing the power of SAS to Hadoop to get better answers, faster. For many
organizations, Apache™ Hadoop®
is used as a sandbox to dump data of uncertain
value that is too unwieldy to store in a traditional relational database. The data
can be loaded into Hadoop, and then aggregated, filtered and structured to see
if there is any value to be gleaned from it. In stark contrast, some estimates
anticipate half the world’s data will be processed by Hadoop within five years.
From big data proof-of-concepts to enterprise-wide deployments, it’s critical to pick your vendor partners wisely to ensure initial success at the small scale doesn’t deteriorate into frustrating live operations. With this in mind, SAS and MapR have combined their respective strengths to ensure your big data aspirations are met, whatever your project stage and scale-out growth plans.
Any Analytics, Any Data Type, Simplified in Apache Hadoop
and Analyze Data
with SAS and
SAS and the MapR Distribution including Apache Hadoop are natural complements. Despite the many technical nuances between various Apache subprojects and Hadoop-based capabilities, SAS support for Hadoop can be boiled down to two simple ideas: Hadoop data can be leveraged using SAS; and the power of SAS Analytics has been extended to Hadoop. By partnering with the market-leading MapR Distribution for Hadoop, SAS applications can now liberate the information gems you seek from the big data tsunami sweeping through your organization. MapR is the only enterprise-grade distribution of Hadoop that is easy, dependable and fast for real-time production workloads.
Just as with other data sources, data stored in MapR clusters can be consumed across the SAS software stack in a transparent fashion. This means that analytic tools already in place (such as SAS Enterprise Miner™), tools relating to data management (such as SAS Data Integration Studio), and foundation tools (such as Base SAS) can be used to work with Hadoop data. What you have can become even more valuable with the addition of SAS Hadoop capabilities. To this end, SAS has developed a number of initiatives to enable SAS users to access, load, process, visualize and analyze data stored in Hadoop. These efforts are focused on three key areas: bringing the power of SAS Analytics to Hadoop with easy data access; taking advantage of Hadoop’s distributed processing from within SAS, and bringing governance to Hadoop implementations using SAS Information.
Why SAS on
MapR is Unique
MapR provides several key advantages to make analytics professionals more productive. MapR snapshots and volumes allow users to build and test models on the same cluster for production data without impacting operations. This also allows for easy versioning of models and back-testing against historical data sets. In addition, unlike other distributions for Hadoop, only MapR provide a fully read-write data platform which allows existing applications, custom libraries, and modeling languages, and scripts (e.g., Grep, Git) to work out of the box. Moreover, data movement is quick and easy with MapR Direct Access NFS™ without requiring a separate cluster for data ingest.
SAS is the leader in business analytics software and services, and the largest independent vendor in the business intelligence market. Through innovative solutions, SAS helps customers at more than 70,000 sites improve performance and deliver value by making better decisions faster. Since 1976, SAS has been giving customers around the world THE POWER TO KNOW.
MapR delivers on the promise of Hadoop with a proven, enterprise-grade platform that supports a broad set of mission-critical and real-time production uses. MapR brings unprecedented dependability, ease-of-use and world-record speed to Hadoop, NoSQL, database and streaming applications in one unified distribution for Hadoop.
SAS Product Portfolio
- SAS/ACCESS Interface to Hadoop. Out-of-the-box connectivity.
- SAS Data Management. Data integration from any source.
- SAS High-Performance Statistics. Solve big data problems with powerful statistics software.
- SAS In-Memory Hadoop Stats. Move quickly through each phase of analytic life cycle.
- SAS Scoring Accelerator. Automate and accelerate modelscoring process within the database.
- Market-Leading Distribution. MapR Distribution including Hadoop is easy, dependable and fast.
- Comprehensive Portfolio. Total solution for big data, from ETL through analytics to BI and visualization with unique governance and monitoring.
- Big Data in Motion. Engage the entire organization in decision-making, whether in the office or on the move.
- One-Stop-Shop for Big Data. From small to large projects, a single architecture that grows with your needs and enables you to capacity plan for cost optimization.
- Simplifies and Augments Hadoop. Abstracts the complexity of Hadoop by making it function as just another data source within the familiar SAS environment.
- Spans Entire Life Cycle. From data to decision, augments Hadoop capabilities with metadata, lineage, monitoring, federation and enhanced security capabilities.
- Brings Governance to Hadoop. Enhances tools for developing and managing Hadoop deployments.
- Top-Ranked Hadoop Distribution. One unified big data platform for Hadoop, NoSQL, database and streaming applications.
- Proven Production Readiness. Benefit from both open source community innovation as well as MapR architectural enhancements.
- Consistent High Performance. Eliminate downtime while ensuring business continuity.
Get started with MapR Today!
Get the MapR Sandbox for Hadoop, a fully functional Hadoop cluster running on a virtual machine. Visit www.mapr.com/sandbox
Take the next step with SAS
Take the Next Steps with SAS. Visit www.sas.com/en_us/software/ sas-hadoop.html and then engage with your SAS account team to move ahead.