Sometimes, it just doesn’t make sense any more to keep building additions onto your little starter home. It’s time to clean house and start over—time to build something new on the site of the old, salvaging the useful pieces, keeping the firm foundation, and designing a grand new home from the ground up.
That’s just what we did with the new and improved Administrator Guide! This guide has been completely reorganized and topics have been renamed, so it’s easier to find what you’re looking for. We also focused on three popular topics making them more robust and easier to use.
We hope you like what we’ve done so far in phase one. In phase two, you can expect to see even more diagrams, screenshots, and helpful examples throughout the guide.
In the Spotlight: Expanded Coverage on Select Topics
In addition to the new outline, the new version of the Administrator Guide also includes more helpful information on these three topics:
- Setting up VIPs for NFS (http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Setting+Up+VIPs+for+NFS )
- Handling Disk Failures (http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Handling+Disk+Failures )
- Designating Subnets for MapR (http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Designating+Subnets+for+MapR )
The New Outline
Here’s a preview of the top level of the new outline, with a brief description of the contents in each section:
Managing Users and Groups
- Setting up email addresses and user permissions, setting quotas for users and groups
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Managing+Users+and+Groups
- Adding and removing a license
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Managing+Licenses
Managing the Cluster
- Assigning roles to nodes, setting up a cluster with High Availability, how to use Central Configuration
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Managing+the+Cluster
Managing Data with Volumes
- Understanding node and volume topology, setting up snapshots and mirrors to protect your data
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Managing+Data+with+Volumes
Monitoring the Cluster
- Monitoring cluster health, setting up metrics to monitor performance, checking alarms
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Monitoring+the+Cluster
Managing and Monitoring MapReduce Jobs
- Job scheduling, tuning your cluster for best performance
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Managing+and+Monitoring+MapReduce+Jobs
Maintenance Schedule (New!)
- A table to help you schedule tasks according to how often they are performed: initial setup, daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Maintenance+Schedule
Troubleshooting Cluster Administration
- Helpful tips for troubleshooting cluster administration problems
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Troubleshooting+Cluster+Administration
Client Compatibility Matrix
- Lists version compatibility between cluster and client
- Click here for more: http://doc.mapr.com/display/MapR/Client+Compatibility+Matrix
Your opinion counts!
This guide is for you! Is there a particular topic you would like us to tackle in phase two? If so, please send your suggestions to email@example.com. For page-specific suggestions, you can send your comments via the feedback form at the bottom of each page. Tell us how to make our Administrator Guide even better!